Screen Training Ireland, The IFB and Animation Skillnet are to launch the inaugural VFX and Animation Traineeship Programme for the Irish Animation and VFX sectors.
The launch will take place in Dublin on the 11th of May and will include a key note address from Dreamworks Animation Director and Writer Dean Deblois whose previous credits include ‘How To Train Your Dragon’ and How To Train Your Dragon 2’.
The launch will also include presentations from top Irish Animation and VFX Studios including Cartoon Saloon, Brown Bag Films, JAM Media, Boulder Media and Screen Scene VFX.
The Traineeship Programme will run over a 12 month period targeted at developing skills and talent in the Irish VFX and animation sector. The programme will involve a mix of on-the-job training/mentoring as well as additional specialist training/mentoring delivered through Animation Skillnet and Screen Training Ireland. The participating trainees will receive tailored training along different priority pathways to include 2D Animation, 3D Animation, VFX CG, VFX Compositing, Pipeline/Technology, and Production Management.
Speaking about the traineeship Teresa McGrane, Deputy CEO of the Irish Film Board, said: ‘Animation and VFX represent a real opportunity for job creation across multiple technological and creative disciplines. This traineeship provides a flexible and innovative skills development model for these dynamic and expanding sectors.’
Gareth Lee, Network Manager at Animation Skillnet, said: ‘It's great to finally see the launch of this new traineeship programme. I have no doubt that over time the programme will go a long way towards addressing any skills gaps that exist in the animation and vfx sectors in Ireland.’
The participating studios and trainees are:
- Boulder Media: Trainee is Alan Tighe
- Brown Bag Films: Trainee is Ken Chambers
- Cartoon Saloon: Trainee is Sonia Naqvi
- Giant: Trainee is Sean Quill
- JAM Media: Trainee is Marianna Farris
- Kavaleer: Trainee is Katie O'Meara
- Kite Entertainment: Trainee is Cathryn Gamble
- Pink Kong: Trainee is Niall Byrne
- Piranha Bar: Trainee is Mark Shaw
- Screen Scene VFX: Trainee is Sammy Khalid
- Telegael/Studio Beochán: Trainee is Leigh O'Brien
- Windmill Lane VFX: Trainee is Daryl McMahon
It is anticipated that the scheme will be extended to a larger number of studios and trainees in 2016.